History of F.E. Bennett Co.
The history of F.E. Bennett Co. goes back three generations. Forrest Entiat Bennett came to Portland, OR from Seattle, WA in the late 1920's as a sales representative. He was so accomplished that Bassick Casters asked him to sell their products in the Portland market on a consignment basis. Thus, the first F.E. Bennett store opened officially in 1930. This arrangement lasted until the start of World War II. Forrest's son, Walter, began working in the business as a teenager in the late 1930's. After World War II he came to work for the company full time.
In 1955, when Forrest passed away, the company became a partnership between Walter and Ruth Bennett, Walter’s mother. Walter slowly bought Ruth's share of the business and became sole owner in 1970. In 1977 F.E. Bennett Co. incorporated. Don Bennett started working as a teenager in 1969 and was in and out of the business several times until September 1979. At this time, Don Bennett made the commitment to work full time in the business. On Walter's death in 1991, Don was appointed President. With his sister, Susan, he has continued this successful business.
Although, the original line of product were casters, F.E. Bennett Co. is now a 'full line' distributor of material handling equipment. This covers a variety of items that can be used to handle and move equipment and products. The company specializes in glides, hand trucks, pallet trucks, dollies, dock boards, ladders and other related dock and warehouse equipment.
In August 1992, F. E. Bennett Co. moved to their current location on Broadway, completely remodeling the old Van Dyn’s building. The highest principles, work ethics and customers service have been passed down from generation to generation. We think Forrest would be proud to see his legacy continued.